Ministry of Water Resources, River Development, and Ganga Rejuvenation had gazette notified “River Ganga (Rejuvenation, protection and Management) Authorities” vide gazette No 2458, dated 7 October, 2016 under the section-5 of Environmental (Protection) Act-1986. In the authority notification, Para 53, District Ganga Committee had constituted under the chairmanship of District Magistrate for taking measures for prevention, control and abatement of environmental pollution in the River Ganga and to ensure continuous adequate flow of water so as to rejuvenation the River Ganga to its natural and pristine condition.
Every District Ganga Committee in each specified District had consisted of the following framework members, namely:-
- The District Collector in the specified District; – Chairperson, ex-officio;
- Not more than two nominated representatives from Municipalities and Gram Panchayats of the specified District nominated by the State Government. – Members;
- One representative each of the Public Works, Irrigation, Public Health Engineering, and Rural Drinking Water Departments, and State Pollution Control Board working in the specified District abutting River Ganga to be nominated by the District Collector – Member, ex-officio;
- Two environmentalists associated with River Ganga protection activities and one representative of local industry association in the specified District to be nominated by the District Collector – Members,;
- One District official to be nominated by the District Collector. – Member;
- One Divisional Forest Officer of the specified District – Member Secretary/ Convenor
The District Collector is the Chairperson of the District Ganga Committee and the Divisional Forest Officer is the Convener of the District Ganga Committee.
The District Ganga Committees is meet at such times and at such places as the Chairperson of that Committee may decide and exercise such powers and functions as may be conferred under this Order: Provided that at least one meeting of the District Ganga Committee shall be held every three months.